Secure Socket Layer commonly known as SSL is an approved security protocol used to enact an encrypted link between a client and a server (web browser and web server). The link is a guarantee that the data passed between the web browser and web server remains private. SSL offers encryption and identification mostly in e-commerce websites. Secure Socket layer allows website users safe transmission of sensitive information with no worries of eavesdropping. If the hacker is able to intercept all the information being transmitted between the web browser and the web server, they can see and use this information. For you to know whether the website has an SSL connection, you need to look for the following details in a website.
The URL of a website that starts with HTTPS:// , for example https://legibra.com and a green padlock.
Some people may ask why do they need SSL certificate. SSL Certificate have an added advantage for your website. The growth of e-commerce is growing at a high rate, however the growth has also attracted cyber crime and fraudsters who are prepared to exploit any opportunity to steal credit cards details and bank accounts. For security purpose it is important to encrypt the connection between the web server and the web user.
Importance of SSL
Secure Socket Layer improves customer`s confidentiality. The green padlock assures customers that the information they send will not be compromised. The data sent by a web user will not be redirected to the unauthorized third party.
Protects web users information against phishing attacks.
SSL connection processes
- A web user send a request via a browser to make a secure connection to a website for example https://legibra.com/
- The web browser obtains the IP address of the site (https://legibra.com/) from a domain name server (DNS) then inqure a secure connection to the website.
- Then the secure connection is initiate when the web browser requests for a copy of SSL certificate from the server.
- The certificate is then checked by the browser to ensure that it is signed by a trusted Certificate Authority, to verify whether the certificate is valid and to verify that the domain listed on the certificate matches with the domain that was requested by the browser.
- A symmetric session key is created it then encrypts with the public key in the website certificate. The session key is then sent to the web server.
- The private key is then used by the web server to decrypt the symmetric session key.
- Then the web server sends an acknowledgement that is encrypted with the session key. When this is done all the data transmitted between the web server and the web browser is encrypted and secure.
SSL implementation steps
- Acquire SSL certificate from certificate authority.
- Choose the type of certificate you need.
- Activate the SSL certicate and install. the activation of SSL certificate is done by the web host. The web administrate can also do the activation process through Web Host Manager(WHM).
- Update the website from HTTP to HTTPS.
Types of SSL Certificate
1. Extended Validation (EV SSL) – It is only used by organization that has proven their legal entities. Before issuing the certificated the Certificate Authority must verify the following details.
- Physical and operational existence of the entity.
- Verify that the provided details match the official records.
- Verify that the entity has exclusive right to use the domain specified in the extended validation certificate.
- Verify that the entity has properly authorized the issuance of the extended validation certificate.
2. Organization Validation (OV SSL) – only the business documents are needed to verify the business.
3. Domain Validation (DV SSL) – only the domain name is approved.
Details included in SSL certificate
- Details of whom the certificate has been issued to i.e domain name, validity period, issue date, expiry date,serial number, details of the issuer,.
- Type of certificated issued.
- SSL version
- Cipher suite details; it is a collection of symmetric and asymmetric encryption algorithm that is used by hosts to establish a secure connection.