So you just got your brand new website up and running, now to leave it as it is for the foreseeable future, right? Well, that may not be necessarily true for most websites, unless it’s a static website.
Just like most things that you will ever own, your website will require regular maintenance to keep it working as intended. Over time as you upload content to your website, make changes to the site, traffic to your website increases, or improvements in technology occur, your website’s performance will be affected in one way or the other. Whether it’s through the site getting slower, error messages appearing, or links not working, issues will start popping up on your website if you do not regularly maintain your website.
So here are 6 reasons why website maintenance in Kenya is important in 2019:
- Maintain your site loading speed. As you add more and more content to your website, over time the site becomes “heavier” meaning it has a lot of information and this will affect the loading times of your website. The longer your website takes to load, the more frustrated and the more dissatisfied your website visitors become. Regular maintenance of your website provides performance improvements that make your website more efficient. This will result in faster load times for your site and an improved user experience.
- A well maintained website retains interest levels of existing customers. How often have you gone to a website, started reading an article, only to find it contains outdated or irrelevant information? Routine updates to your site ensures there is fresh and relevant content on your site, meaning regular site visitors remain engaged. This could also be a way to attract new visitors to your site.
- It is critical to search engine rankings (SEO). Websites with old content rank lower in search engines compared to ones with updated content. Some search engines, including Google, check your page’s “if-modified-since” HTTP header to determine whether it is worth crawling. So regular maintenance is essential if you wish to rank higher on Google search, Bing search or any other search engine.
- Maintains the integrity of the company image. Dead pages, broken links, site errors and outdated information projects a sloppy image of your business/ organization. Routine maintenance will fix these errors before your visitors encounter them, saving you from disappointing your visitors or giving a bad impression.
- You are less likely to get hacked. Sites that aren’t maintained are at a higher risk of getting hacked because they could be using outdated coding and modules that are less secure, thus leaving them vulnerable to attack. Getting an SSL is one way of protecting your website however, maintaining your website regularly is an alternative method because it means that your site is relying on the most up-to-date technologies.
- Saves time and money. Most people take the, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” approach when it comes to their website, which is very risky. When something goes wrong, it might take a lot of time to fix it, and you know what they say, “time is money”. Every hour your website is down is an hour you haven’t interacted with your audience and is an hour you aren’t going to get back. So rather than wait until something goes wrong or waiting until your site goes down, regular maintenance is a cost effective preventive measure that will always ensure that your site up and running. Reactive measures are often more costly than proactive ones.
There you go, 6 reasons why you should make sure your website is regularly maintained. Website maintenance in Kenya should be common practice, not only for your benefit but also for the benefit of your audience. So ensure your are on some form of maintenance plan, either from your website host or website developer/builder . If you aren’t on any maintenance plan, feel free to reach out to us via [email protected] for your website maintenance needs. LEGIBRA: Hire The Best, Get The Best.