Domain transfer process
What is a domain transfer?
Domain transfer is a process of changing the entitled registrar of a domain name. Once the transfer has been made, the new registrar will maintain all the important information concerning the domain and the registrant. It is possible to transfer a domain from your current hosting company to Legibra.com. You only need to notify your current registrar that you would like to transfer your domain. There are various reasons why domain owners migrate their domains.
- Unreasonable prices.
- Poor customer support.
- Poor services.
Sadly, your current registrar might reject your transfer request because of the following reasons.
- If you owe them.
- If the identity of the person requesting for transfer is not identified.
- If the domain name was registered recently.
- If the domain is less than 60 days old after previous transfer or registration.
How to prepare your domain for transfer.
- Confirm that the domain was not registered or transferred at least 60 days ago.
- Make sure your WHOIS information is correct and accurate. Use this link http://whois.domaintools.com/to verify your domain information. If the registrar has protected their contact information using WhoisGuard, kindly request them to turn it off so that they can receive domain transfer approval email. If the approval email is sent to the wrong email account, the administrator will not receive the email hence the transfer will be canceled.
- Make sure your domain is unlocked.
Before domain transfer process commences, you are required to provide the following details.
- The domain name. for example, legibra.com
- EPP code also known as an Authorization code or Auth code. EPP code will be provided by your current registrar. EPP code provides an extra security level for the domain name registration. EPP code is unique in every domain name and it is assigned by the registrar during registration.
- Make a plan and choose a package.
Use this link DOMAIN AND HOSTING PRICING to choose a package you will be interested in.
Domain Transfer setbacks.
Domain transfer may fail if;
- The domain is locked.
- The EPP code is invalid.
- The contacts information is outdated or the information is protected by WhoisGuard.
- The current registrar changed their contact details within the last 60 days.
You can also contact our support team for further assistant.
Support contact: +254 710135135
Note: Domain transfer does not automatically change its Domain Name Servers (DNS).The name server will remain the same after transfer until they are updated to point to the new server. It will take 48 hours for the propagation to take place.
Rember that the transfer of the domain might take up to 7 days, it can take up to 2 weeks if your previous registrar does not accept the transfer as soon as they receive the confirmation email.
Domain transfer is usually done on Friday evening. If domain migration is done on weekdays, the users of the website might experience some downtime with the website. Emails send during this time will be lost, the message will not be delivered to the recipient.